This is the earliest known building in Raumati South. It is still occupied at No 6 Glen Road. Built by the original landowners, the building and surrounding farm was bought and occupied by Mr George Cripps in 1912. He had moved to the area for his retirement after a lifetime spent farming at Waitotara near Wanganui, where he and his wife raised 8 children. George, an accomplished builder, handmade the existing window and door joinery and mantelpieces. They are identical to those in his parents’ cottage at Seven Oaks Farm near Castlepoint in the Wairarapa. There is no record of when he moved to Raumati or why, or if his wife Leah came with him, but both were still alive in 1923 when records show that his niece Lillian and her husband Bert Eatwell moved into the home from Nelson and purchased the farm. Later the farm was subdivided, making up the bulk of Raumati South as we know it. George retained a small piece of land and built himself a new cottage opposite the south end of Matai Road. The area is now a small native plant reserve. He lived here until passing away in 1943, aged 90.